Do you spend a lot of time on your smartphone watching videos? But do you know how to fully exploit all the possibilities offered by YouTube? Google’s video platform has a search filter system to help you find content more easily. Find out how these filters work and what their benefits are..
Different search techniques on YouTube
Do you think you have mastered Google’s video hosting platform down to the last detail? And yet like many Internet users you just enter one or two keywords in YouTube and wait for the search engine to find a video that may interest you.
The algorithm of the American giant favors videos from star YouTubers with a solid subscriber base. Very often you will find results from ultra popular videos or content from platform partners at the top..
And yet, there is a gigantic volume of videos that are much more interesting than some short films referenced in the prestigious Trends category. To refine your results, you can use search filters.
Customize your searches via filters
Internet users around the world upload almost 600,000 hours of video to YouTube every day. Faced with such a mass of content, we understand better why looking for a video can be so complicated. But rest assured, YouTube offers an advanced search system..
Although very effective, this device, like the incognito mode, suffers from ignorance on the part of the general public. Very few users use YouTube's search filters. And yet as you will see, it is very effective in finding the rare pearl.
The technique of filtering content by criteria is far from new. Here is a detailed list of filters available on YouTube.
- Type: as the name suggests, this filter will allow you to choose the type of content that will appear in the results. You have the choice between video, playlist, channel, film and broadcast. It's up to you to choose what best meets your expectations.
- Sort by: this filter allows you to modify the order in which the results are presented. By default, this is set to relevance mode. You can filter the oldest content by choosing the online date mode. It is also possible to classify videos according to the number of views
- Date added: this command will allow you to display in the results only the most recent videos. The filter has several options to see only the content uploaded in the last hour, today, in the week, this month or in the year.
- Duration: you will be able to choose the duration of your video. For YouTube, a short video cannot exceed 4 minutes. If you have more free time, go for a long video. This lasts 20 minutes and more
- Features: this section will allow you to filter the results according to the technical characteristics of the videos. Among the options offered you will find live videos, 4K, HD, content with subtitles, 360-degree videos, 3D sequences or VR180.
How to do an advanced search on YouTube
YouTube’s algorithm determines which content to view. It is however possible to modify this selection mode by opting for advanced search. Here's how to fine-tune YouTube’s query results.
- Launch the YouTube app
- Click on the magnifying glass icon at the top right of the screen
- Type in one or more keywords corresponding to your request in the search field
- Confirm with the return key to display the list of results
- Click on the filter icon at the top of the window
- Now select the filters of your choice
- Press the apply button
The YouTube app will display a list of videos based on your query and your filters. You can for example find a short video in 4K with subtitles on American basketball or line fishing. YouTube filters will help you get more precise results and save you a lot of time.