Download YouTube from Nintendo eShop Enable YouTube parental controls on the Switch
Rumors had been circulating for several months that it would be possible to watch YouTube videos directly on a Nintendo Switch. It is now official. The video game console produced by Nintendo offers the YouTube application. Here you will find all the information to download and use YouTube on a Switch..
Download YouTube from Nintendo eShop
The Nintendo Switch, launched in 2017, isn't just a great game console. You can also use it to watch videos on YouTube just like you would with your smartphone or tablet.
For people who are worried about their children using YouTube alone, be aware that the console offers a restricted mode. Once activated, users will no longer be able to access adult-only videos. This device will prevent your child from viewing violent videos, for example..
- Start your Nintendo Switch
- Scroll down the window until you see the circular icons at the bottom of the home screen
- Click on the orange bag icon labeled Nintendo eShop
- Select the search option placed in the upper left corner
- Type the word YouTube
- Nintendo's app store will display a list of results
- You should see the YouTube app appear at the top of the list
- Click on it
- Press the download button
- You will then be asked to enter your Nintendo ID login credentials.
- Wait a few seconds for the application to load on your console
- A notification will notify you once the installation is complete
- Return to the home screen of your Nintendo Switch
- Click on the YouTube icon using your finger or use your console controller then press the A key to launch the application
- YouTube will offer you to sign in using your Google account
- This will allow you to access your favorite playlists and channels.
- Click ignore to use YouTube without signing in
You can now watch videos on your console with the official YouTube app. Navigation can be done using the left joystick or the D-Pad. In portable mode, it is possible to use the touch screen.
Importantly, subscribers to the YouTube Premium service will not be able to download videos for offline viewing. This feature is not available on the Switch. On the other hand, the application supports HD videos as well as 360-degree videos..
The use of the application does not require any subscription (Nintendo Switch Online). Note that once the console is placed on its dock, the video will automatically be displayed on your television screen.
Enable YouTube parental controls on the Switch
The YouTube application has a parental control system to restrict the content offered on the video platform. The device is based on the titles and descriptions of the videos as well as on data provided by the community.
- Open the YouTube app on your Nintendo Switch
- Click on the settings icon on the left of the application
- Scroll down the window until you see the restricted mode section.
- Select the On button using the Pad
- Don't forget to press the A button to activate it
This device will exclude all content reserved for adults including comments. Keep in mind that restricted mode filtering is not foolproof.