Not everyone has an all-in-one printer with scanner and copier functionality. If you need to scan a document, know that your iPhone or iPad natively has a scanner mode. Today we explain how to use the document scanning feature built into your Apple phone..
Scan documents with the Files app
With the development of new technologies, it has never been easier to quickly send paper documents (invoices, identity card, receipts, driver's license). But for this you will need a scanner or a multifunction printer.
If you find yourself away from home, on vacation, or on the go, things might get a little tricky. Fortunately, smartphones and tablets equipped with cameras allow you to scan a document..
You will still need to install a dedicated application for this type of task (Scanner Pro). These tools have different functions to make the image more readable (color correction) or to crop it.
Since the arrival of the latest version of iOS, both iPhone and iPad have a scanner function integrated directly into the Notes and Files applications. We can now scan any paper document without going through a third-party application..
- Launch the Files app on your smartphone or tablet
- Select the On my iPhone (or On my iPad) section
- Click on the menu button (3 dots aligned horizontally). If the latter does not appear, you will have to drag the window down
- Press the document scanner function
- The camera function of your Apple device will start
- Position the document in front of the camera so that the iOS system can detect it correctly
- A blue frame will automatically recognize the area of the document to be scanned
- In the absence of this frame, you will have to click on the shutter button of the camera application
You can, if you wish, crop the snapshot by dragging the corners of the image. Once the operation is complete, you will have to click on the button to keep the scan. The document will automatically save in your device's memory.
Scan a document with the Notes app
If your phone isn't compatible with the latest versions of iOS, don't panic. Since iOS 11, the Notes application offers a completely autonomous scanning module. Although less advanced than its Files counterpart, this tool offers everything you might expect from a smartphone scanner.
- Open the Notes app
- Click on the icon in the shape of a rectangle surmounted by a pencil to create a new note
- Then press the icon in the shape of a camera then select the option to scan documents
- Take care to properly lay your document flat on a table
- Frame the document
- For the best possible result, hold your phone directly over the document
In auto mode, iOS will give you some tips to improve the readability of the scan. Once the document is identified, your smartphone will automatically capture the scan. If your device cannot recognize the document, you will need to click the shutter button on the camera.