Connected televisions not only offer superb picture quality but also access to a large number of video streaming services. For those who want more, it is also possible to install a VPN on their Smart TV. In this guide, find out everything you need to know about setting up and using a VPN service with a smart TV..
Install a VPN on an Android TV
The VPN has now become an essential tool for maintaining anonymity on the internet. And contrary to what many might think, VPN is not exclusively for use on a computer or smartphone. It can also be used on a connected television.
But beware, the operation is however delicate. In fact, most Smart TVs (smart television or connected television) do not offer native support for VPNs. The configuration of the Virtual Private Network cannot therefore be done from the television settings..
If you have a Smart TV running Android TV (LG, TCL, Sony and some other brands) nothing is lost. The Play Store app store is full of VPN apps that you can easily install on your TV.
To benefit from this service, you obviously need to have subscribed to a VPN offer beforehand. There are different providers. Before taking out a subscription, ask yourself the right questions. What type of encryption does the VPN offer? How many servers does it offer? Is it easy to use? And above all, does it offer smartphone applications?
Configure your VPN on your TV
With the application, you will be able to protect not only your smartphone, your tablet but also your television. The process is quite straightforward. You just need to follow the steps mentioned below..
- Open the Google Play Store on your Smart TV
- Find your VPN service using the app store's internal search engine
- Download and install the VPN app on your TV
- Launch the app
- When you start for the first time, you will be asked to enter the login details that you were given during your subscription.
- Select the server of your choice from the list (country)
Here it is, it is not more complicated than that. Now you can use your favorite connected services without worrying about your data. The VPN hides your IP address and protects your identity using an encrypted tunnel through which all your data circulates.
Your television is not equipped with Android TV
A significant amount of connected TVs use an operating system other than Android. However, nothing prevents you from purchasing an Amazon Fire Stick type stick.
This will allow you for less than 30 euros to connect your television to a VPN. You can also connect your TV to a computer on which you have configured VPN access. To do this, it will suffice to follow the following steps
- Connect your Smart TV to your computer with an Ethernet cable
- Open Windows settings by clicking Windows key + I on your keyboard
- Select the Network and Internet section
- Choose the Change adapter options box
- Right click on the name of your connection
- Click Properties
- Go to the Sharing tab
- Select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection check box
- From the drop-down menu, select your Ethernet or LAN connection
- Activate VPN on your computer
Since you share your internet connection with your Smart TV, all data will pass through the VPN's encrypted tunnel. Note that it is possible to perform the same operation via your computer's Wi-Fi connection.